Thursday 10 April 2014

Medical School

FYI: I applied to McMaster medical school to start in September, 2013 (meaning I applied October, 2012). Disclaimer: I have never reapplied or applied to any other medical school besides Mac. I have written the MCAT once and took a review course for it. I'll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible...

Medical Schools In Ontario
  1. McMaster
  2. Western
  3. Queen's
  4. Toronto
  5. NOSM
  6. Ottawa

How To Apply
  • Every school has it's own individual requirements, so it is important to check out each school you are applying to (see links above)
  • The application is done through OMSAS and is due October 1st
  • Every school WILL require reference letters, and they all interview their top ranked applicants
  • The first four schools on the list require the MCAT
  • All schools require an autobiographical essay to be completed on OMSAS. This is basically a list of all education research, employment, extracurricular, and volunteer experiences you have completed since you were age 16
The MCAT
  • The MCAT is composed of 3 sections: verbal reasoning, physical sciences, and biological sciences
  • All multiple choice
  • You have to register (months in advance) and pay hundreds of dollars just to write it
  • You are not scored on how many questions you get right. You are only scored on how well you do in comparison to the group you write the test with (think of it like rankings)
  • Each section is out of 15, and the number you get on each section corresponds to a percentile in which you rank
  • You study from the MCAT textbooks, taking a prep course, doing practice tests, and/or a combination of these things
  • The test itself is about 5 hours long
My Experience
  • I wrote the MCAT in August 2012 (back when there was also a writing section). I took the Princeton Review in-class course to prepare. I wrote about 10 practice tests, bought the books, and studied for about 10 weeks while working full-time. My score was disappointingly average and I feel like I completely blanked out while writing because I was so nervous!
  • I didn't get an interview at Mac
  • Through my experience applying to med school, I feel like I learned a lot about the application process and I'll consider rewriting the MCAT and applying again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment