Thursday 10 April 2014

Nursing (Fast Track)

When I was in grade 12, I never even considered applying for nursing. I always thought nurses were just overworked and underpaid motherly figures that all wanted to either be doctors or retire to have children and stay home. Don't hate me!!! I know that is a super ignorant view of nursing and I do not hold that view now (maybe just the overworked and underpaid part haha). I never realized how much opportunity and variety lay in the career. I also never realized how COMPETETIVE nursing was to get into! I've read that some schools do not admit students that have a GPA lower than 88%!

Anyways, I'm going to start by defining what a nurse does.

What's a Registered Nurse?
  • Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings
  • Nursing includes the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled and dying people
  • Advocacy, promotion of a safe environment, research, participation in shaping health policy and in patient and health systems management, and education are also key nursing roles
  • Nurses can work almost anywhere and can specialize in different areas of medicine
Fast-Track/Compressed/Accelerated Nursing
  • This type of RN degree is typically completed in just two year, but applicants need to have certain prerequisite courses and a certain number of university credits to get accepted
  • Each school has its own requirements. The GPA to get in is usually in the A- range or above
  • For a complete list of schools in Canada, click here
  • There is not usually an interview process. Applications are due sometime in December to early February
  • Some schools require a statement of intent, reference letters, and personal essays
  • You apply on OUAC for Ontario programs

My Experience
  • I applied to McMaster accelerated nursing last year but was unfortunately rejected. I kind of applied last-minute on a whim and wrote my supplementary application a few days before it was due...
  • I applied to Western and McMaster this year. I haven't heard anything yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment